This page contains a listing of my research interests and a list of publications and presentations. My core expertise is in data analytics, business intelligence, data science, and data architecture. I am particularly interested in applying these concepts in the educational domain to strengthen our understanding and decision-making about students and their achievement. In my research and writing, I examine both strategic, organization-wide issues as well as operational, day-to-day challenges and solutions in the above areas.
My main goal is to truly help people and provide people with specific and concrete recommendations to move forward with their data management and analytics-related journeys. Each organization experiences challenges in these areas, and it is my life’s work to help organizations tackle these difficult challenges.
- Data science and data architecture
- Educational data mining, learning analytics, academic analytics
- Leadership support of information systems & analytics-related projects
- IT strategy and governance (so-called IT-business alignment)
- October, 2020. You can get there from here: Guiding your company’s analytics journey as a QSM expert. Presented at BOSCON Conference, October 19-20, 2020.
- August, 2019. Experiences in using data science and machine learning tasks for K-12 education. Presented at MinneBOS, August 22, 2019. https://minneanalytics.org/minnebos-2019/
- June, 2019, with Dr. Carla Patalano, MBA/HRM Program Chair at New England College of Business. You want me to do what??? Getting started in analytics for an HR department of one. Presented at the SHRM ’19 Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- May 2019, with Stephen Mehlo, Director Advanced Analytics at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH), and Stephen Smith, CIO of Cambridge Public School District, Cambridge, MA. Going from data to action: Challenges and solutions for school districts. IMS Global LILI2019 Conference, San Diego, CA, May 20-23, 2019.
- April 2019. How do leaders support data science and analytics projects? Presented at the AABRI Conference, Savannah GA, April 1-3, 2019.
- March, 2019. HMH Data Insight-as-a-Service. Presentation at annual SITE Conference, Las Vegas, NV, March 18-21, 2019.
- June 2018. Data Insight-as-a-Service. Presentation at the Model Schools Conference, Orlando, FL.
- April 2018. Data Insight-as-a-Service. Presentation at HMH Technical Services University, with Pamela Moore.
- October 2017. How to Speak Geek: Demystifying Analytics for HR Professionals. Press release available at: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/10/prweb14818267.htm
- You can access a recording of this by registering here.
- Huebner, R. (2019). How do leaders support data mining and analytics projects? Journal of Technology Research, 9. Available here. Also indexed in ProQuest, ABI/INFORM.
- Huebner, R. & Moore, P. (2019). Data Insight: Helping Districts Use the Right Data for Improving Student Outcomes. In K. Graziano (Ed.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (p. 1033). Las Vegas, NV, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved January 20, 2020 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/207772/.
- Huebner, R. (2017). A quantitative analysis of organizational factors that relate to data mining success. Published Dissertation. Abstract available here. Published in ProQuest Digital Dissertations.
- Huebner, R. (2013). A survey of educational data mining research. Research in Higher Educational Journal, 19. Available here. Available in ProQuest, ERIC, and ABI/INFORM.
- Huebner, R. (2012). Barriers to adopting privacy-preserving data mining. Proceedings of the International Conference of the American Academic and Business Research Institute (AABRI).
- Huebner, R. (2009). Diversity-based interestingness measures for association rule mining. Proceedings of the American Society of Business & Behavioral Sciences (ASBBS), 16(1). Available here.
Blog Posts & Non-Refereed Publications
- August 19, 2019. Approaches for growing your organization’s analytic capability. CIO Applications.
- June 5, 2019. [for Cutter Consortium members] How can leaders ensure their analytics projects are successful?
- May 13, 2019. Adopting analytics in school districts – suggestions for managing people, process, and technology. Available here.
- March 4, 2019. Creating an engaging data culture in school districts. Available here.
- July 26, 2018. Managing school district data requires data governance efforts! Available here.
- June 13, 2018. [for Cutter Consortium members] How your organization can get started in data visualization and analytics.
- April 11, 2017. Developing HR professional’s skills in data analysis and data visualization using Tableau. Available here.